COURSE & RULES
1. The Woodball course should be sited on a tract of grassy field or clay ground, and its fairways should be designed for games and competition.
2. On the course, the natural objects such as trees, grove, low wall, and mounds can be used as obstacles or boundary line.
3. The outer area of the fairway boundary can be set up as spectators’ area with reference to the natural features.
4. The designed fairway layout plan should be displayed at the ideal strategic visible location.
Woodball Course Design
1. The design of Woodball course is comprised of twelve fairways or its multiple numbers.
2. The total length of a twelve-fairway Woodball course shall be more than 700 meters.
3. In principle, the surface of the fairway shall be even and smooth.
4. The fairway is designed to shape in rectilinear or curvy form in accordance with the natural features of the land.
5. The fairways may be set up with simple obstacles and temporary boundary line.
6. According to the area of the Woodball course, designated fairway distances are required to vary from 30 to 130 meters.
7. In event affected by regional climate or the natural features of the course, the organizing committee may take in due circumstances into consideration and make the appropriate local rules but not against the primary spirit of the Rules.
8. The round string used for the fairway boundary line shall be 0.5 cm diameter thick in white or yellow.
Specifications of the Woodball Course
1. The fairways should be maintained regularly, and grass on the fairways should be even in advance of play.
2. The width of each fairway should be designed in accordance with its natural features, but the narrowest width should not be less than 3 meters, and the widest width should not be more than 10 meters. The width of middle distance fairway should be more than 4 meters and the width of long distance fairway should be more than 5 meters.
3. The length of fairways, 50 meters and under is termed as short distance (PAR 3); 51 to 80 meters is termed as medium distance (PAR 4); 81 to 130 meters is termed as long distance (PAR 5).
4. Of the twelve fairways, at least four are curving fairways; two to be left-curving fairways and the other two to be right-curving fairways. There should be only one turning point in each curving fairway, the distance between turning point and the central of the gate should not be over 10 meters.
5. Of the twelve fairways, at least two are short-distance fairways and two are long-distance fairways.
6. The fairways length is measured from the mid-point of the starting line, along the fairway center, ending at the mid-point of the gate. This length is regarded as the actual distance of each fairway.
7. At the beginning of each fairway, the requirement is to set up an initial horizontal line, regarded as the starting line. This line is 2 meters in length and each end of the line is drawn further back to line 3 meters in length. The rectangular area enclosed is regarded as the starting area
8. At the end of each fairway, the requirement is to set up a circular area 5 meters in diameter with the gate as its center, regarded as the gate area. It may not be limited to 5 meters only if the geographical features at both sides of the gate have major terrain obstacles. Between the rear of the gate area and the fairway boundary a buffer zone width 2 meters or more should be kept.
9. The gate is set up in the center of the gate area, may be facing any direction of the fairway.
10. The starting area and the gate area should be even, smooth and obstacle-free.
11. The blue borderline flags should be placed both sides of fairway every 20 meters; the yellow turning flags are placed at turning points, and the red endline flags are placed behind the gate in the end of the fairway. Yellow turning flags should be on the boundary line, and other flags should be outside of the boundary line at least a distance of a ball.
Use of the Fairway
1. For each fairway before the session of the game is completed, the next group is permitted to enter the fairway and start their session of game, with no disruption caused to the previous.
2. Only 4-5 players are allowed to play in the same session.
3. When the game is in process, no person other than the field players and the referee should be allowed to enter the fairway.
4. When the player is in action, other players should move back 3 meters for safety reasons.
5. Where the grass covering the fairway was scooped out by play, the patch should be mended by flattening or stamping immediately.
6. It is not permitted for the player to adjust the fairway ground in front or behind of the ball in play prior to his/her shot.
7. It is not permitted to remove obstacles set on the fairway.
8. In the event of wind-blowing or rainy weather, the player may request to clear away branches, leaves, and waste, etc, hard objects fallen on the fairway.
Rules of Woodball and Beach Woodball (2016/10/30 Revised English Version)
木球 及 沙灘木球規則 (2016年10月30日修訂中文版)
Amended and Appended Rules of Woodball 木球規則修訂(2016/10/30 Revised Eng/Chi Version)
Amended and Appended Rules of Beach Woodball 沙灘木球規則修訂 (2016/10/30 Revised Eng/Chi Version)
© 2018 by Hong Kong Woodball Association. All rights reserved.